Friday, April 15, 2011

Mission begun

My first clinical day was 15 April at the local hospital. We arose at 0415 for 0500 muster in the Well deck to board the LCU landing craft that would take us ashore. The LCU rests on an interior wooden deck within the stern of the ship. After the personnel and equipment board, the ship ballasts down to flood the interior deck and float the LCU so she can back out and be on her way. Local buses met us at the dock for the short drive to the hospital. Clinic was set up, and after prayers and singing, patient registration began. Most of the nurses including myself registered patients. After registration, patients were sent to the appropriate group for their care: Adult Medical, Pediatrics, Dental, Optometry. A field suite for minor surgeries was also available. Paper records are kept by the hospital but our mission uses a PDA electronic records system. As part of my PDA training I sat with the doctors while they examined patients and entered their notes and pharmacy orders into the PDA. The teams were multi-national including personnel from the US, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and Tonga. Although the children are now taught English in school, many adults don’t speak English so the interpreters, locals and Mormon missionaries, were an important addition to the team. The patients were very grateful for their care.

Most likely heat/dehydration has upset my intestines so I had to miss clinic today and stay on the ship with Imodium, electrolyte drink, and probiotics. It’s been difficult to adjust to the heat. Although much of the ship is air conditioned to the high 70s, the rest of life is in the 80s while we wear long pants, dark shirts, sturdy shoes and socks, and a backpack, and often stand in the sun for long periods. Any shade is a god-send. The constant roar of the ship’s HVAC is wearing. But I’ll adjust to all of this. I’m living in a Female Berthing area in a locked room currently with 9 other women, and it is more comfortable than most. Bunks are stacked 3 high. Everyone is very collegial and respectful, which is important for such a small space where people work different shifts and are coming and going at all hours. The residents clean the their berthing areas including the heads so that was part of my duty today since I stayed on ship. Navy food is pretty good. The MRE (meal ready to eat) for lunch yesterday was interesting - I was lucky to trade for a tuna meal.

More later. Best to all.

2 comments:

  1. How much clearance with the triple bunk setup? The first time I felt claustrophobic was in such a place (dive boat). Thankfully, it’s not something I seem to suffer from on a regular basis from though my Dad did in his later years so perhaps I have something to look forward to.

    I hope you're feeling better by the time you read this. Heat is hard to adjust to but you will and pretty quickly. I'm enjoying your blog so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each rack (bunk) is 80" long, 27" wide, 18" high. Sometimes it pays to be a small person. I started in a top, moved temporarily to a bottom, and am now in a middle rack.

    ReplyDelete