21 Apr 2011, Vava’u Tonga. Can it be true that the Vava’u Tonga mission is winding down already? I spent most of the past several days working in the diabetes clinic testing blood glucose levels, checking blood pressures, and talking to patients about diet and exercise. We improvised with the supplies at hand to clean an older man's ears that were heavily impacted with wax. He left with a big smile because he could hear again. But now the last patients have been seen and it’s time to move on to Vanuatu. The Closing Ceremony was held today at a public school where repair work was done by as part of the civic mission. Speeches were made to honor all participating nations (Tonga, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, and the USA), the US Navy band played, the Tongans sang and performed traditional dances, and a luncheon feast was served. It was a bright sunny day with no breeze and wilting heat/humidity, but there were smiles all around. I admit to a wave of homesickness as I remembered my two previous trips here with Fred and wished he was here again with me to see the happy Tongans.
Food is always a good item for cultural exchange. As much as we were interested in tasting Tongan food, the Tongan staff at the hospital were interested in tasting “that food you get in the brown bags”, i.e. our lunch MREs (meals ready to eat). So on the last day at the hospital I offered up my MRE to a couple of curious Tongan nurses, and I ate the fresh fruit that they brought for us (pineapple, bananas, papaya, coconut) - I know I got the better end of that exchange.
From my volunteer hours at the RotaCare clinics in Santa Cruz and Monterey I know the important contributions that the volunteer interpreters make to the medical care of our patients. The same was clearly true in Vava’u. The interpreters included the hospital staff, Latter Day Saints missionaries (young American and Tongan men and women), American Peace Corp volunteer(s), English-speaking family members of patients, and English-speaking patients themselves who stayed to help at the clinic after their own treatment. We had a few simple phrases about diet and exercise translated to the Tongan language to use for diabetes and hypertension teaching materials for those patients who don‘t speak English.
My last day at Vava’u will be an all-day sailing and snorkeling trip to Ovaka Island and Swallows Cave. I hope the reefs are as healthy now as they were in 1998 and 2005. The next challenge will be living aboard while underway. I hope the seas are calm as I’m not looking forward to navigating the steep stairs in rough seas. My berthing area is aft, and 1 deck below the mess hall and 3 decks below the computer room. I think it will be a 5-day sail, arriving in Vanuatu on 28 Apr. Cheers!
Hello Bridget! Congratulations with the first leg. I am reading your blog with enthusiastic interest. I had dinner with Barbara K and Greena N last night, who send their best wishes and prayers for a successful mission. I will continue to read and post as time permits. I am sure that there are many like myself that enjoyed your most excellent stories that make us feel we are right there with you. Take care! Onward to the next great mission (but after we read about your snorkeling....)
ReplyDelete